I started off by downloading and importing the audio from all three ‘Flat of Angles’ parts into Premiere Pro. Then I combed through all of them several times; deleting and cropping all the phrases and words I found interesting out. I ended up with a very long collection of very short samples from each of the original three videos, which I could then use to form my poem.
I then downloaded three Thomas Newman compositions which I thought would be appropriate for the mood. Then spent ages editing them together till I ended up with a suitable background music which would compliment and shape the piece.
I used the volume audio effects the phase out particular sections where needed so the music blended seemingly together. Also used it on words as well occasionally to make the speech sound more natural.
This is what the finished audio tracks looked like and the remaining clips on the right are the ones which I didn’t use but I kept just in case I changed my mind.
The hardest part of this entire project was by far finding the right visuals for the sound piece, which was surprising to me because I thought it would be the easiest part. The problem was finding visuals which didn’t take anything away from the sound. I wanted it to be as simple as possible so it wouldn’t crowd the sound scape. Originally, I only had videos of HD time lapses I found on the internet, which worked in some places but by the end of the 4 minutes I was begging for something different. Constant sunsets and stars detached the piece from its meaning and I knew that I had to break it up with other images.
As its quiet a slow and gradual piece the videos just jumping in from black looked unnatural and too sudden. I found my Youtube tutorial videos on how to blend in the videos smoothly. Luckily Premiere Pro already had a ‘Dip to Black’ effect under ‘Dissolve’ in ‘Video Transitions’ which I could adjust and use on the videos clips that needed it.
As you can see in the top left corner of the image above, I used multiple colour correction effects where appropriate. This was crucial to make the various video clips I found from multiple sources look like they had all come from the same piece. I could also fiddle around with the contrast and saturation to make certain videos look more professional.
I slowed down a lot of the videos and sometimes reversed them to make them fit the audio. I knew after lots of trial and error that timing would be crucial for the video to work. Also videos of people would be perfect at breaking up some of the endless time lapses.
The long pink bar running across the whole of video track 4 was a collection of vignettes I designed myself using a ‘sixteen point garbage matte’ on a black video and then adding a ‘Track matte key’ on all the videos. This removes everything apart from the dark border revealing the video underneath it, creating a vignette. This was crucial for the video of eyes I used so the audience could focus fully on them.
I exported and rendered the video in a H.264 format because of the professional quality I wanted to achieve.
This is what the final video looked like inside of the Premiere Pro project. As you can see there was a substantial amount of editing involved. Timing was key.